01 January 2007

view from the edge

"The Edge of America," one local beach calls itself. Today we stood on the edge of the country, the edge of a new year, the edge of a new adventure.

A year ago I did not imagine this would be the case. I'm doing a number of things I never thought I'd do. I never thought I'd live on a golf course. I never thought I'd get the deluxe cable package. These defy explanation, so I will not try.

I'm excited and overwhelmed by the opportunity of the year ahead. I'm also a little emotional at the thought of saying goodbye to my visitors tomorrow.

Today we watched while my nephew "swam" in the ocean. Never mind that it was 60-something degrees and it was raining. He was committed to running into the water until it reached his waist, so we stood on the sand and watched. He was precious. We have had a wonderful visit. I believe we saw every reptile and amphibian display in the Lowcountry, and he loved them all. He was very, very good. I hope he goes back with many fond memories of this area and of his aunt. Of all the things I'll miss about my hometown, my nephews top the list.

Change is good and so is a blank slate. I'm ready for both. I'll miss visiting with you through this weblog but e-mail will still be up and running so please drop a line and let me know what's happening in your world. Come visit, and we'll watch the golfers outside the kitchen window, on the 10th tee. If you want to go swim in the ocean, no matter what the weather, I will take you.

I wish for you a very happy, safe and blessed new year. Thanks for reading this weblog. Take care and goodbye!

No comments: