There are traditional New Year's Day foods, like black-eyed peas and collard greens in the South. My personal tradition (at least for the last few years) is Lamb Korma from the local Indian restaurant. I don't know if it's supposed to bring prosperity or luck or whatever -- it just sounds good after so much turkey.
When I was growing up, our neighborhood got together for a New Year's Day soup buffet in the basement of one house. We got to have clam chowder as one of the soups -- a very big deal. It was crowded and noisy and most of the guys complained they couldn't hear the football game. That was always one of my favorite times of the whole year.
And yes, it was always the last hurrah before all the diets took hold the next day.
This year just seems strange. BusyMom said it well -- having the holiday on a Sunday just seems very unholiday like. I have today off but I can't escape the sinking feeling that I have made some kind of mistake and should be at work right now.
That sensation, along with my total apathy about New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, must signal some kind of maturity. Let's hope not.
No comments:
Post a Comment