I believe I have shared the phenomenon in which people tell me things for no apparent reason other than I am proximate to them.
Tonight I stopped at a gas station to fill up my car and I bought a bag of Hershey's Kisses.
This prompted the attendant, an avuncular 65ish man we will call Bob, to ask me, "Do you know why they are called 'kisses'?"
I weighed whether this was the set-up to a joke or perhaps prelude to a very embarrassing exchange.
He said with authority: "It's because of the sound of the machine when it makes the candy."
I don't remember if I said anything. I think I just nodded with a little smile.
"I'm a wealth of trivial information," he said.
"Well, that was an interesting one -- if I repeat it, I'll be sure to credit you," I responded and turned ... but not quickly enough.
"Do you know the origin of the word 'cop' ?"
I was inches from freedom -- yet trapped, just Bob and me, in this vast wasteland of trivial knowledge and pre-packaged snack foods.
"No, no I don't."
"It's from Merry Olde England: it's short for 'Constable On Patrol.' But of course now they are called bobbies ..."
Just then a woman came into the store and approached the counter. I gave a quick wave and made a break for it. Thank you, woman in the Honda Civic.
28 March 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment