Lately I've gotten e-mails from a couple people out of my past. They write a short note that says, "I wondered if this address for you still works. How are you?"
Then I respond, "Yes, you reached me ... good to hear from you ... [basic update] ... how about you?"
Then radio silence ensues.
I don't mind this kind of e-mail, because I've been known to send a few myself. It's just too easy to write somebody who crosses your mind, just to see if they're still somewhere on the planet. Then you go on with life.
I used to handwrite a lot more letters, especially on my fall vacation. Every September I'd hole up in a cabin on the shore of Lake Superior and churn out long ones, short ones, and catch up with people I never talked to at any other point in the year. One of those people was my friend KP, the lone contact I have from the Connecticut years. She now lives in Philadelphia, so we are getting together next week.
That's one fewer letter I'll be writing, but I do plan to take some real, tangible stationery and jot a few notes to people I haven't contacted (even by e-mail) in some time.
14 September 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment