19 September 2006

george pepper, father of the philadelphia free library

Let's have a moment of tribute for George. You'd think this honor would fall on Benjamin Franklin, who basically had his hands on / in / all over everything in Philadelphia from the 1700s to the present. One of his greatest accomplishments is the concept of a library company or lending library. But today we have to thank George Pepper for endowing the Philadelphia Free Library, where I'm coming to you from this very day.

YES I finished the half-marathon although the last three miles were arduous and the last two were complicated by the fact that I fell. Nevertheless, I crossed the finish line just one minute off my Birmingham time. This is the miracle we were hoping for.

I wish Ben Franklin (or George Pepper or anyone) would have invented interchangeable body parts, as I would like to have a new set of feet for the remainder of this week. My own post-marathon feet are, well, disgusting and blistered to the point where enclosed footwear is nearly impossible. This complicates my itinerary which involves a great deal of walking. My new routing involves coming back to the hotel mid-day to soak my feet and read guidebooks while I am seated on the edge of the bathtub. Oh, the glamour.

Philadelphia is a great and beautiful city. I highly recommend it. I have been writing a great deal off-line and will post selected items upon my return.

YES I have met many interesting and astounding people.

YES I have eaten all kinds of exotic food.

YES I have had many mojitos (well, not today, but it's only 5:30 p.m.) here.

Hope your week involves as much learning, and fun, but definitely less chafing.

No comments: