05 October 2006

mrs. mapgirl robertson

I have a little baseball crush on Detroit Tigers pitcher Nate Robertson. It's the glasses. Then I read this profile. He would save his Bible! And wants to learn to play the guitar! And has a Wichita cell phone!

Oh, and he's married.

Well, good luck anyway, Detroit Tigers.

Another reason I love October is that October means post-season baseball, which I truly enjoy. I've attended more professional baseball games in the last six weeks than I've seen in a long time. I really love going to the ball park, and I went this year with many of my favorite people (my dad, brother, uncle, JFA, DMJ ...)

My brother is a walking baseball encyclopedia. He really knows a ton about the game (and all the interesting sidenotes). We always keep score. I use a basic, rudimentary method. My brother uses something akin to quantum physics.

My brother keeps all his scorecards and can read them like an artifact from an ancient civilization. He can picture what happened and interpret the trends in the game. When JFA and I went to Busch Stadium a while back, it was a pitcher's duel, and my brother could only think of what an exciting game it was. (We begged to differ.)

I brought my Phillies scorecard for him to peruse, and he showed me two scorecards from the Cards' final two triumpant -- well, at least effective -- regular-season games. His "liner notes" are rich with detail and footnotes and minutiae. He is the David Foster Wallace of baseball scoring.

I have a feeling that the next time he's at a Tiger game, and Robertson pitches, he will leave this marginalia: "My sister's baseball crush."

No comments: