I usually wait to post when I'm feeling overly emotional, but I don't think I can sleep unless I write something about today's sad events.
One of my co-workers was out running on a country road about 7 p.m. Sunday night when he was struck and killed by a car. This was the first thing we learned this morning and as you can imagine, we were all stunned.
The local newspaper ran a story with the headline, "Jogger's family in shock over death" or something like that and I'll tell you, I wanted to call the newspaper and complain. I used to work for the newspaper and, I say this with not a shred of pride, I often was the person who had to call a newly dead person's shocked family for comment. I look back on that and wonder why in the world we had to call the family. I guess at that time we felt it was a way for readers to learn a little more about the departed.
In that spirit, I will tell you a couple of things about my co-worker:
He never, ever, in the history of the 2+ years I knew him, said anything downbeat or complaining. He was always looking at the bright side of things and embraced all challenges. In this vein, he once stood in front of an all-employee meeting with pompons.
He loved cars and recently treated himself to a new one. I asked him what his wife thought of that and he said she was completely on board since he bought her a Mustang GT convertible at the same time. He had lots of advice for me during my Audi troubles. Long story short, his advice was, don't buy any more Audis.
Last year he spent a lot of time at the facility to which I am moving. He instructed me never to call the Midwest and gloat about the mild Southeastern weather. I pledged never to do so.
In direct rebellion of our corporate culture, he sometimes wore bold (some might say garish) ties to important meetings. I think he thought it was an icebreaker, and he was right. He had 12 special Christmas ties, complete with flashing lights and sound effects. I think he might have had a Grinch tie -- but that seems a little out of character for him.
I cannot think of anyone else in my workplace who was so universally liked and thoroughly enjoyed. Tonight I'm thinking of him, but also his wife and grown sons, and especially the 16-year-old driver whose misfortune will haunt him forever. My co-worker would forgive that boy, I am sure. I hope his family can.
Such a sad thing. I will miss those ties.
28 November 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment