26 November 2006

jar of blessings

Why can't Thanksgiving last as long as Christmas? This is my perennial question. I love Thanksgiving even more than I dread Christmas. Trust me, that is a lot.

I think this will be one of my most favorite Thanksgiving for many reasons. It made me reflect on my grandma many times. Although she passed away some years ago, her presence has seemed stronger than ever. She used to have a ceramic jar with the word "Blessings" engraved on the front. Here's a few I would put in:

-- My team from work held a surprise farewell dinner for me and it was a time of great food, company and conversation. As you know, I love to go out to eat. But there was something very special about having a homemade meal in a person's residence. And I was touched that my co-workers took time away from their families to spend an evening with me. The whole night inspired me to entertain more (if I ever find a new place to live).

-- My family had a special prayer time the night before Thanksgiving. I am blessed with a very close and caring family. We often say, "I'm praying for you," but this was a time where we all took time away from the pressures of life to stand around each other -- literally -- and individually pray for each person. It is a powerful and moving thing.

-- We went for a butt-kicking hike before Thanksgiving dinner. The weather was so mild and we had a beautiful morning to soak up nature and give ourselves an excuse to have a second helping at the meal. It was a really nice start to our otherwise laid-back holiday.

-- I was able to visit with two of my best friends in the world, and they have had a challenging year. I think this was a meaningful holiday for both of them as well, but perhaps not as relaxing. It was great to see them, however briefly, and catch up with them during their family gathering. I have such great friends. They have some big decisions in the weeks ahead regarding health and treatment. We were leaving the family party when a relative came out to tell them, "Don't be afraid. God is your friend. Talk to Him -- He will hear you."

In the weeks to come, that's good for me to remember as well. And that is exactly something my grandma would have said.

No comments: