A few days ago I wanted to write a post that told you all about how Craigslist.org was a fabulous way to advertise your property.
Today's post, however, will tell you about how you should never underestimate your spider-sense that does more than tingle, it screams NO WAY IN THE WORLD SHOULD YOU BELIEVE ONE IOTA OF WHAT THIS PERSON IS TELLING YOU.
It took me 48 hours to rent my place on Craigslist, except the inquiries were fishy in two regards:
(1) They both came from the United Kingdom
(2) They both were rock-hard crazy.
The second one had a little more finesse, the guy had me send all kinds of pictures and then directed me to a "website" to verify his "employment." Even before I looked at the website, the fact that he wanted to close the deal in a hurry (like within a week), would send an check over-and-above the requested amount -- and the check would come from his employer -- and that he wanted to rent it sight unseen (and without my requested application) were all big, flapping red flags. (Tip to scammers: use good grammar and spell-check. It makes you more credible. Also skip the stories of family drama. Too much information.)
I sat here at my little computer wondering if I was just the most suspicious person on the planet, or the stupidest to think that two Brits wanted to move to the Midwest the same week.
So I Googled "Craigslist scam" and lo and behold .... please pay particular attention to #2 under "examples of scams."
My faith in humanity has been shattered a little bit. And I still have a place to rent. Let me know if anybody's interested. Local applicants only.
09 November 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment