17 February 2006

show, don't tell

If you'll permit me just one more post about my Birmingham experience ...

One of the highlights of the weekend was reuniting with the folks I met at the Webb show last August. I firmly believe I could have talked with every person in the club that night and none would have been as fun, compatible or interesting as my newfound friends H&P. They were extremely hospitable and really looked out for me, showed sincere interest in my event, and took me to great places for dinner.

Two more accomplished people you could never hope to meet, and they are a pleasure to be with. And it's not just because they loved "Mad Hot Ballroom" as much as I did. I really enjoy talking to people who are engaged in issues, willing to explore things in their community, have a positive relationship with another, and who truly care about other people.

I met H&P a week before Hurricane Katrina, and one of the big headlines from their life since our last visit was that they hosted some refugees from New Orleans. They spoke about it matter-of-factly and positively; I don't think I would do as well sharing my space for six nights, let alone six weeks.

While in B'ham I also had an incredible dinner with JMS and it was good to catch up with him. He has always been such a supportive friend., as is my whole N'ville posse. Apparently there was a movement afoot to surprise me in B'ham, which I thought was incredibly thoughtful.

An event like a half-M is like going on an international trip. Whenever I plan either one, people always amaze me by their expressions of excitement and encouragement.

What is my point here, exactly? Just that all of these random acts of kindness have made me think, how supportive am I to my friends in their individual hopes and projects? Do I express goodness and caring? Do I practice Christian charity, especially toward those who are suffering?

There's a rule in almost every writing textbook: "Show, don't tell." The same rule applies to professions of faith and friendship. Do you really believe in it? Do you really feel it? Show, don't tell. Thanks to all my friends who showed me over the past week. You've challenged me to start doing the same.

No comments: