Sure, I saw it twice. In the theater. The only way I could be a bigger cliche is if I'd gone on Valentine's Day.
I know the actor who played Mr. Darcy has a Frankenstein-like forehead and Keira Knightley's mouth is a little strange. But I went for the rain, the incredible soaking rain that makes England so green.
"Pride and Prejudice" is such a wonderful story. It's been filmed a couple dozen times, and you can't go wrong with any of them. I loved the cinematography of this latest version, and the scenery made me want to buy a plane ticket to the UK right away.
The literate banter, the swelling music, the breeches. Sigh. And who doesn't love a big happy ending? The first time I saw this version, I had a deja vu moment: the spunky heroine, the brooding hunk, sitting across from one another and leaning in to kiss by firelight. The second time I saw it, I was with my friend AEA, who had the same realization. As the credits rolled, she said, "That ending reminded me of 'Sixteen Candles'!"
And that's why I love this version. Mr. Darcy = Jake Ryan. You can see for yourself when the DVD comes out next week.
(Bonus points for my friend AEA, who informed me where the actor who played Jake Ryan is today: selling his handmade furniture in Pennsylvania.)
21 February 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment