A pleasant option was a college library a short drive from my town. [Confidential to HCB: yes, I was there, but I decided on the spur of the moment and I really had to buckle down and work, so that is why I did not call.] Cut off from television, Netflix, housecleaning, the Internet and a telephone, I sat in a room that is nearly all glass and had seven of the most productive hours in a long time. By about 3 p.m., it felt like I was working in a terrarium, but it was wonderful nonetheless.
Driving home I listened to one of those albums I always go back to when my petals are drooping. Like a ray of sunshine, they warm me again and again. So I’m going to steal shamelessly from a newly discovered weblog and post my own essential albums. Perhaps they’ll help you stagger through the darkness until Daylight Savings Time.
Essential Albums Vol. 1 (listed alphabetically by artist)
Romeo’s Escape, Dave Alvin

Blue Notes, Paul Burch and the WPA Ball Club

Love Over Gold, Dire Straits

Lost and Found, Jason and the Scorchers

Tomorrow the Green Grass, the Jayhawks

Moondance, Van Morrison

Damn the Torpedoes, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Darkness on the Edge of Town, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes, Pete Townshend

AM, Wilco

No comments:
Post a Comment