Tonight I went to a retirement party for a friend from work. After a career that spanned 35 years and five countries, he is going back to his home state to fix up an Arts & Crafts style house. We used to have great talks about travel, architecture and life in general. I'm delighted for him and will miss him.
Today is my 8th anniversary at [the place where I work]. When I decided to leave the newspaper, I applied for a couple jobs and wanted to get on at [the place where I work] so very much. I prayed for it like a little girl prays for a pony at Christmas. I remember the day I got the call with the job offer as one of the happiest days of my life. And in the past eight years, I have never regretted my decision.
I've been to parts of the world and met incredible people I never would have otherwise. My career here is about one-quarter complete, and I hope on my 35th anniversary I can look back with the same joy and contentment that my friend did tonight.
19 May 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment