I cannot wait for the movie to open because, soon after, I will get to stop hearing about "The DaVinci Code" at every turn. The thing that amazes me most about this whole thing is the infinite ways that every media outlet seems to be able to wring some kind of "DaVinci Code" connection in order to contribute to the hype.
"Did you know that the Holy Grail might have been in Marquette Heights for a brief period in the 17th century?" I fully expect that to be the lead story on the local news on the movie's opening day. (I made that up. Just like a lot of stuff in the DaVinci Code.)
I have not read "The DaVinci Code" and I haven't decided whether I'll see the movie. I know, you are amazed that there is a person in the continental U.S. who has not read the book. I am that person. I haven't stayed away on moral or religious grounds as much as I don't like following the pack. I didn't want to be trendy, so I didn't read it. I often do stay away from things on moral or religious grounds; for example, I do not shop at Wal-Mart, and you can see how effective my high-horse has been in changing the world in that regard.
Anyway, "DaVinci Code" sounds clever, I like art and travel and patterns like the Fibonacci sequence, and I think people should be able to go see -- or not see -- any movie they like. More than anything I'm pleased by many churches' new approach to movies they oppose, like "DaVinci Code." They are treating it as an opportunity to talk about what they believe rather than just yelling that no one should see it [refer to: "Last Temptation of Christ"].
In the billions of things that have been said about "The DaVinci Code," my absolute favorite came from my pal EWV. Preparing me for my trip to Florence, he warned that all the significant spots were going to be swarming with DaVinci rubberneckers. "That [expletive deleted] Dan Brown ruined it."
I love that.
17 May 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment